News Release: LIFE Natura2000Value Crete organises workshop in the Municipality of Gavdos on the 30th of July 2016
In the context of the communication actions of the project LIFE Natura2000Value Crete, the University of Crete - Natural History Museum of Crete (NHMC) organises workshop entitled ''NATURA 2000 sites: Opportunity or obstacle for the development''. The workshop will be held on Saturday, the 30th of July 2016, at te theatre "Theophilos Tsirintanis at Sarakiniko, Gavdos island at 20:00.
The event will include presentations regarding NATURA 2000 sites on a national scale as well as in Crete, the socio-economic benefits we get from nature and wildlife and traditional practices of sustainable exploitation of these areas such as organic farming, hunting and ecotourism, aiming at the conservation of biodiversity and the natural environment.
The schedule of the workshops is the following:
- 20.00-20.20: Arrival - registration
- 20.20-20.25: Greetings
- 20.25-20.40: Michalis Promponas, Physicist - Environmental Scientist, PhD (University of Crete – Natural History Museum of Crete): "NATURA 2000 Network of Protected Areas in the European Union, Greece and Crete"
- 20.40-20.55: Tania Ploumi, Environmentalist MSc (University of Crete – Natural History Museum of Crete): "Socio-economic benefits from the Natural Environment"
- 20.55-21.10: Giorgos Vlontakis, Agronomist - Environmentalist MSc - Organic farmer: "NATURA 2000 sites: Protection and improvement of the local natural resources, organic farming and stockbreeding"
- 21.10-21.20: Coffee break
- 21.20-21.35: Roula Trigkou, Forester MSc, Senior Conservation Communication Officer, Hellenic Ornithological Society: "Ecotourism in Natura 2000 sites: opportunities, possibilities and requirements"
- 21.35-21.50: Stavros Xirouchakis, Biologist - Ornithologist, PhD (University of Crete – Natural History Museum of Crete): "Ecosystem services of Wildlife"
- 21.50-22.00: Questions - open discussion
The aforementioned actions are implemented by the NHMC in the context of the project LIFE Natura2000Value Crete ("The ecological services, social benefits and economic value of the Ecosystem Services in Natura 2000 sites in Crete" - LIFE13 INF/GR/000188).
For more information:
Natural History Museum of Crete: Tania Ploumi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural History Museum of Crete: Kiriakopoulou Niki, email@example.com