News Release: Project ‘’LIFE Natura2000Value Crete’’ organises workshop at the Municipality of Sfakia, on the 29th of August 2016
In the context of the communication actions of the project LIFE Natura2000Value Crete, the University of Crete - Natural History Museum of Crete (NHMC) organises workshop entitled ''NATURA 2000 sites: Opportunity or obstacle for the development''. The workshop will be held on Monday, the 29th of August 2016, at Fragkokastello at 20:00.
The event will include presentations regarding NATURA 2000 sites on a national scale as well as in Crete, the socio-economic benefits we get from nature and wildlife and traditional practices of sustainable exploitation of these areas such as organic stockbreeding, hunting and ecotourism, aiming at the conservation of biodiversity and the natural environment.
The schedule of the workshop is the following:
- 20.00-20.20: Arrival - registration
- 20.20-20.25: Greetings
- 20.25-20.40: Michalis Promponas, Physicist - Environmental Scientist, PhD (University of Crete – Natural History Museum of Crete): "NATURA 2000 Network of Protected Areas in the European Union, Greece and Crete"
- 20.40-20.55: Tania Ploumi, Environmentalist MSc (University of Crete – Natural History Museum of Crete): "Socio-economic benefits from the Natural Environment"
- 20.55-21.10: Manousos Stavrianoudakis, President of the Stockbreeders' Association of Chania: "Alternative Opportunities of Development in Stockbreeding"
- 21.10-21.20: Coffee break
- 21.20-21.35: Stavros Xirouchakis, Biologist - Ornithologist, PhD (University of Crete – Natural History Museum of Crete): "Ecosystem services of Wildlife"
- 21.35-21.50: Roula Trigkou, Forester MSc, Senior Conservation Communication Officer, Hellenic Ornithological Society: "Ecotourism in Natura 2000 sites: opportunities, possibilities and requirements"
- 21.50-22.00: Questions - open discussion
The aforementioned actions are implemented by the NHMC in the context of the project LIFE Natura2000Value Crete ("The ecological services, social benefits and economic value of the Ecosystem Services in Natura 2000 sites in Crete" - LIFE13 INF/GR/000188).
For more information:
Natural History Museum of Crete: Tania Ploumi, email@example.com
Natural History Museum of Crete: Kiriakopoulou Niki, firstname.lastname@example.org