GR4320004 - MONI KAPSA (FARANGI KAPSA KAI GYRO PERIOCHI)
Photos of the site
The site is of great aesthetic value. It is also very interesting for its flora (with some endemic and local endemic species and with rare species) and for its geomorphology.OTHER IMPORTANT SPECIES WITH MOTIVATION DTordylium hirtocarpum is protected by the Greek Law (Presidential Decree 67/81). Silene pinetorum is protected by the Greek Law (Presidential Decree 67/81) and included in the IUCN Red Data List (1993) in the category of threatened plants characterized as rare. Brassica cretica ssp. cretica is a chasmophyte found only in C. & S. Lebanon out of Greece.
The site is located at the SE part of Crete, about 35 km E of Ierapetra. It includes a small gorge (3 km lentgh) with the name of the monastery, Moni Kapsa, which is inside the gorge. There are a small sand beach and coastal sand dunes at the exit of the gorge to the sea. The marine part covers less than 1% of the site. The site encompasses inland cliffs, chasms, and exposed rocks. There are phrygana in good condition.
1) 3.2.c., 3.3., 4.1., 4.2., 4.3.:
1) Medspa Database.
2) Patras University - Ministry of Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works. 1988. (Work Team: Economidou E. et al) Entopismos kai meleti ton ygroviotopon kai allon simantikon gia tin ornithopanida viotopon tis Kritis (Localization and study of wetlands and of other important for the birdfauna biotopes of Crete). Final report, Vol. 1, Patra. p. 384.
3) Turland N.J., Chilton L. & Press J.R. 1993. Flora of the Cretan area. London, HMSO.
4) Sowig, P. 1985. Beitrage zur Kenntnis der Vebreitung und Okologie der Amphibian und Reptilien Kretas. Salamandra 21(4):252-267.
5) Archives of the Hellenic Zoological Society.
6) Valakos E. Personal communication.
7) Paragkamian K. Personal communication.
8) Vardinoyannis K. 1994. Viogeografia ton Chersaion Malakion sto Notio nisiotiko Agaiako toxo (Biogeography of land snails in the south Aegean arc). PhD Thesis. Athens University.
9) Georghiou K. 1995. Checklist of Endemic, Rare and Threatened Plants of Greece. Draft. University of Athens. (3.3, 3.4, 4.2)
Reference: Natura 2000 data form, database release 7 Feb 2014